Yesterday, someone asked me for a recommendation for free music appreciation and composer study for younger children. I replied with my favorite: Classics for Kids
Each month, a different classical composer is highlighted. This month: Antonio Vivaldi
Each week, a different score of music is highlighted through a weekly “radio show.”
From the introduction on the Classics for Kids website:
This site is designed to help you introduce your child to classical music. Music not only has the power to stimulate the mind, enrich the heart and soothe the soul; it can help children to think more creatively, develop craftsmanship and discipline and learn the value of excellence.
What is available at the Classics for Kids website? Here is just a sample:
- Lessons plans for K-5th are available for certain composers
- Games, including Compose Your Own Music (our children’s favorite on the site)
- A weekly radio show, based on the current month’s composer’s music
- Music selections from various classical composers
- An interactive chart of Instruments of the Orchestra
- Classics for Kids is also available as a podcast
How to Get This Freebie: Visit Classics for Kids
Especially for K-5th, I’d say, but our older kids get a lot out of it, too!