Do you have a computer enthusiast in the house, but just thinking about teaching him or her makes your head ache and your typing fingers hurt? If so, you’ll be happy to know that some very smart people created computer programming courses for kids & teens, specifically for homeschoolers and – best of all – without you needed to help teach.
And guess what? They want to give a full curriculum to two Freely Educate readers! I’ll tell you how to enter the giveaway in a bit. First, here is more about TeenCoder and KidCoder:
Using KidCoder and TeenCoder, students in grades 4th-12th learn Windows and Game Programming using industry-standard Visual Basic and C# languages. The self-study courses may be completed by your student at his/her pace. All courses come with fully coded activity solutions; no teacher expertise required. Each course includes a perfect-bound 8.5 x 11″ textbook and enclosed CD with professional setup program.
Here is the KidCoder Series:
KidCoder: Windows Programming
The first semester course teaches kids the fundamentals of Visual Basic and creating Windows applications. Students learn about computers and logical thinking skills.
KidCoder: Game Programming
Learn to write Visual Basic games using graphics, sound effects, collision detection, animation, artificial intelligence, file I/O, simple game physics, and more!
Here is the TeenCoder Series:
TeenCoder: Windows Programming
The introductory course teaches teens the Microsoft C# language, Windows programming, object-oriented programming and important computer science concepts.
TeenCoder: Game Programming
Use C# and the XNA Game Studio to write games with animated sprites, music, realistic physics, multiplayer support, mazes, Xbox360 support and more!
Visit Homeschool Programming for demos videos, a peek at the textbook, the FAQ and more.
Homeschool Programming, Inc. wants to send out a package to two winners who may choose from these two options:
KidCoder: Windows Programming curriculum + Instructional Video ($85 value)
TeenCoder: Windows Programming curriculum + Instructional Video ($90 value)
How to Enter – For your first entry, just leave a comment below. Let us know which program, TeenCoder or KidCoder, you would choose if you were the winner.
Additional Entries: You’ll receive an additional entry for any or each of these. Remember to comment separately per entry.
- First, did you just simply comment? That’s the mandatory entry. Do that first, letting us know if you’d choose KidCoder or TeenCoder. Then, choose any or all of these to enter again:
- “Like” Homeschool Programming on Facebook. Come back here to leave a comment, letting us know you did that (it would be especially nice if you said something on their wall!)
- Follow @HSProgramming on Twitter. Come back here to leave a comment, letting us know you did that. (Tweet them a “hello!”)
- Sign up for the Homeschool Programming newsletter by visiting their site and entering your email address into the right sidebar under “Newsletter.” Come back here to leave a comment, letting us know you did that.
- Blog about this giveaway on your blog or website then come back here and leave a link to the blog post so we can visit you.
You may enter all 5 ways!
Entries are open to the U.S. Random.org will select the winner. The winning entry will be verified. Entry deadline: Monday, August 1st, 2011 at noon CST.
UPDATED 8/1/11: NOW CLOSED. We have 2 Winners:
Congratulations, Alan Young (Comment #236, chosen by Random.org)!