2014 Update: I've been told the JASON site no longer looks like it did five years ago, when this post was published, and it no longer has free content. I haven't taken time to check it out, as I am more focused on 2014 content, but be aware it may have changed. ~ Lori
Wow! National Geographic, NOAA, NASA and other smarties have teamed up to create JASON, a site full of curriculum, lesson plans, games, live events, an argonaut program and more. The site is so vast and so well created that I urge you to check it out.
Although you are able to view demos, FAQs and the JASON philosophy, you do have to register to explore the full potential of the the site. Registration is a 1-2 minute minor inconvenience (name, address, password, school or homeschool info), but the site is of such high quality that that minor inconvenience is forgotten in less time than it took to fill out the registration form. Truly.
After registering, you are able to create a classroom and fill it with assignments for your students.
(The following information is from JASON)
JASON's science curriculum units are designed to:
- Light the spark of inspiration in students
- Fit within school districts' core 5th-8th grade curricula
- Adapt to higher and lower levels
- Align to state and national standards
- Cover at least five to nine weeks of material
- Include numerous research articles, hands-on lab activities, videos, games, and multimedia resources
- Include suggested lesson plans, extensions, interdisciplinary connections, and teacher resources for alignment, assessment, and classroom management.
Q: What grade levels are JASON curricula designed to serve?
A: JASON's standards-based Operations curricula are geared to students in Grades 5 through 8, although JASON's materials can be easily adapted for lower or higher grades.
Q: Do JASON materials align to national model standards and state curriculum requirements?
A: Yes, visit one of our standards pages to see JASONs alignments to National Science Education Standards: Operation: Infinite Potential, Operation: Resilient Planet, Operation: Monster Storms. State standards alignments are available in the JASON Mission Center.
Subscribe to FreelyEducate here
Keep up with FreelyEducate tweets (Twitter) here: @freelyeducate
Thank you, Katherine @ Relishing Life, for sharing this with the FreelyEducate.com readers!