Oh, I’m so excited that one of our readers chose to share this one with us! Several years ago, our now-10yo began a reading program called Progressive Phonics. At that time, the books were released as free downloads while they were being written by their author, Miz Katz N Ratz. For a few years after they were written, the books were no longer free and I forgot all about the website (such a cheapskate, I know!).
Dawn, a FreelyEducate.com reader, wrote recently to let us know that the Progressive Phonics program is 100% free again! A generous sponsor has made this possible. I know our 7yo will enjoy reading the entertaining books, as her brother did before her.
Here is more about Progressive Phonics program, as stated on their home page:
Progressive Phonics is an all-in-one reading program that is easy, fun, and totally FREE—that’s right, totally and completely free!
And with Progressive Phonics, ANYONE can teach a child to read and write in just a few minutes a day, which makes it ideal for parents, teachers, tutors, volunteers and homeschoolers.
- No experience necessary. Just pick a book and start reading it with your child/students.
- Matching handwriting worksheets and activity sheets for each book — when children write what they learn, they learn it better.
- Also teaches the essential sight-words (phonics rule-breakers) that most phonics programs fail to teach.
- Instant access — download and use today. (Free registration required, but there are sample books you can look at before registering.)
- Our books can be read on-screen or printed on your color printer. Each book takes 4–8 minutes to print and uses as little ink and paper as possible.
Visit Progressive Phonics for more. It was created especially for beginning and struggling readers.