Here's a peek at what I bought my husband for Christmas….
It's the new Kindle Fire! I ordered it yesterday, and it has already shipped and will be here on Tuesday (with just the regular free shipping method). I'm so excited to give it to him that I can hardly wait! And how am I going to resist playing with it?!
I thought of spending another $300 to buy him an iPad, but here's why I chose the Kindle Fire for him:
- He is a media kind of guy, whereas I'm a wordy kind of girl. The iPad works well for me — I want to be social, I want to write emails — but he likes to watch movies and read books, so the Kindle Fire will work well for him (so would the iPad, yes, but why pay $300 more?)
- He likes to play games, and can play his favorites on the Fire (he plays Words with Friends with me, isn't that sweet? Except, we aren't always sweet about it…)
- It will fit in his back pocket. The iPad is too big for that.
- He has a Droid phone, so he's already familiar with Droid apps
- It's $300 cheaper, and I can't think of $300 worth of use that he'd get out of the iPad over the Fire, knowing how he would use it.
- We're going to buy Amazon Prime membership so we can watch unlimited, instant videos of movies & TV shows on our televisions, computers, iPad, iPod Touch, and now…on the Fire! We're dropping our Netflix subscription to do this, because Prime is just $79 for the year, which is the same price as our Netflix subscription, but Prime also includes….
- The Kindle Owners' Lending Library, where he can borrow books from other Kindle users, including bestsellers, for free!
- He'll also have access to borrow books from our local library
- He has mentioned wanting one for a couple months now. I took the hint.
After my husband gets a chance to play with his new Kindle Fire, I'm going to push every button and search through the apps to find the value for an educator. I already know the iPad is wonderful for educating, but it's also extremely pricey — you can just get the kids a desktop for half the price of an iPad!
The Kindle Fire has a tempting pricepoint. I hope it's also helpful for educating children. This is such an exciting time to be an educator, isn't it?
How to Learn More about the Kindle Fire: Here's the Kindle Fire page
Do you have a tablet, e-reader, or other device that you use for educating kids? If so, let us know what you use, and please recommend apps to us!