In year 2, I took a course in Anatomy & Physiology. I still have the several-inches-thick book. It's hard to let go of something that cost as much as it did, and besides, I always thought our children would get a kick out of the illustrations.
Until I discovered Visible Body, a 3D, interactive program for teaching anatomy and physiology….
See the labels in the screenshot, below?
The following is the response from Visible Body creators when asked…
Can I use the Visible Body as a teaching resource in my classroom or computer lab?
encourage you to use the Visible Body with your class! We hope you will
share with us your feedback about the site and any suggestions for
improvement you may have. While customized versions of the Visible Body
are available for a fee, we plan to maintain free access to this
version for public use.
Is there a version with no nudity (skin) and/or reproductive system for use with less mature audiences?
"G-rated" version of the Visible Body is currently in development. In
the meantime, users can avoid adding the Integumentary and Reproductive
Is the 3D human body model complete and anatomically accurate?
Visible Body is the most complete, highly detailed, and anatomically
accurate human body model available. It is designed to deliver the
level of detail necessary to teach a college-level Anatomy and
All anatomical content has been reviewed for accuracy by our panel of experts, including physicians and anatomists.
My notes on using this site:
- Registration is necessary. Often I "boycott" a site on this sole point, but Visible Body is too cool to not forgive. Only an email address and password are required.
- I had to download a 3MB viewer to see the Visible Body. You'll see a download option when you try to open the program up. I just wanted to let you know I found it to be a safe download.
- The first time you open Visible Body, be patient! It's a huge program and will take a while to fully load. Go do something else while it fully loads, like, um, write a blog post (only the skeletal system has finished loading as I type, but my connection is l o u s y today).
- Did you see the note above about seeing some "skin" and "sensitive viewers"? Okay, then. Just so you know they aren't going to show us a fully-clothed or untrue (Barbie-like) Visible Body.
- Note: The skin (integumentary) loads LAST, and you have to click "Add" to view it, so your Visible Body will be "G-rated" until that point.
Ah, as I'm finishing up this post, I see that the Endocrine, Digestive, Respiratory, and Lymphatic systems are all ready to add to my skeleton. This looks like great fun.
I just might regret that decision to switch majors.
Subscribe to FreelyEducate here
Keep up with FreelyEducate tweets (Twitter) here: @freelyeducate
Have a resource or giveaway to share? Email me at loriseaborg @ gmail.com